Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Christmas trees, Elves and Magic Oh My!

We've put up the tree, yes it is fake cause it is just easier to handle. The princess and I made two strings of popcorn garland, they are short but they are there!! I bought the best thing ever..a plug in fragrance warmer.  my house smells like sugar cookies. I hung the stockings with care, however the little sticky things obviously cannot handle our over sized stockings with the cool characters on them.  Each year we hope our stockings are stuffed :)  Prince hung up the outdoor lights. My bushes are all bright. 
Then I bought an Elf on the Shelf, what the f(&**^ was I thinking??  Let me tell you why I bought into the story.  There I was shopping at Target and I had passed the end cap full of elves.  It's always caught my eye but I never could bring myself to buy one.  I could not bring myself to buy a child's book for $25.  I mean I did not know the whole story. I DID NOT KNOW THAT I WOULD HAVE TO MOVE THE DAMN THING EACH AND EVERY NIGHT TO ADD THE MAGIC IN OUR HOME!!!!!! I admit it was an added responsibility I did not know about.  Plus now that I've crossed over into The Fortyhood my memory isn't quite all there.  So yeah, I past the end cap of elves when I heard a Target employee say to someone else, "I have four girl elves left in the back...let me go get them." Girl elves??  The Shelf Elf has a female doll??  Who knew??  Not I.  SO I found myself walking back to the end cap...there they sat....a Elf on the Shelf with a skirt on!! I could not resist.  My brain told me NO!, but the damn Christmas spirit (not Target marketing) got to me and I just had to get one for princess....still standing my ground on not spending $25 for a book I opted for the $10 dvd.  I did a little jig in the store.
We get home Princess is all over the elf...even removed the coveted skirt.  Pop the DVD in and find out we have to name the Elf and then never touch her again, for if we do she will lose her magic and it is her magic that enables her to go to Santa, the head Elf, each night to report on Princesses doings.  *sigh* Princess is in tears cause not only has she named her five different times before we knew, Princess has also disrobed her. So in my all-knowing Mommy voice I say "It's okay honey let's put her on the shelf and think of a really good name for her and then never touch her again. She will have her magic."
So we all went to bed.  I had to wake up at three a.m. because I forgot to move the elf. **rollingmyeyes***Then the movement began...from one shelf to the next.  Princess woke all excited...found "Elfie"...all excited..then went to brush her teeth.  She walked out of the bathroom and said "Mom did you move that elf?"
(jaw dropped I felt a moment of disbelief, how could she have known?) What could I do??  I lied.  I said "Absolutely not!   Why would I want her to lose her magic???? " hummmmpppphhh *sigh* *eyesrolling*

No comments: